Photo credit: Canadian Living
Adapted from Canadian Living
Enjoy the end of the asparagus season with this easy weeknight meal. Start to finish it takes 20 minutes and tastes fresh and delicious!
• 4 eggs, (shells-on)
• 2 slices (1/2-inch/1 cm thick) sourdough bread
• 1 tsp (5 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 bunch asparagus, (about 450 g), trimmed
• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
• 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
• 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1. In saucepan, add eggs and enough water to cover by at least 1 inch (2.5 cm); bring to boil. Reduce heat; boil gently for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 4 minutes. Drain and run eggs under cold water for 2 minutes; drain. Peel eggs and halve lengthwise; Set aside.
2. Brush both sides of bread with oil. Place bread and asparagus on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until asparagus is tender and slightly grill-marked and bread is grill-marked, about 7 minutes. Let cool slightly; cube bread and halve asparagus crosswise.
3. In large bowl, gently toss together bread, asparagus, avocado, tomatoes, red onion and basil.
Dijon Dressing: Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
To finish: Toss salad with dressing to coat. Top with eggs.